Gratitude & Kindness
The continued lockdowns have been challenging for many people. In some ways we have been here before and we know what to do but we do not want to be here again. I know that being apart from many people and what we love, has its challenges. Each day you need to try and find the positives and things to be grateful for.
What I’m grateful for
I wanted to share with you one of the things that I am grateful. During my daily walks, I enjoy admiring my neighbours gardens. I love seeing the changes with the seasons. Spring is here, this is even more enjoyable as most gardens are abundant in colour and fruit. I have also noticed acts of kindness. A friend reminded me of a quote that I look for every day now,
“Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping”.
Small acts of kindness make a big difference for people
Whether it be people stopping to give a wave over the fence, offering to pick up essentials for house bound folk, leaving out cuttings or fruit from the garden for others to take home, or leaving out boxes of books that you’re no longer reading, for others to enjoy.
When life gives you lemons, make Lemon and Yoghurt Cake!
It has been a good citrus seasons and my lemon tree is abundant with fruit. So what I want to say to you is, when life hands you lemons, find the gratitude and make lemonade. Or even lemon yoghurt cake. Why not share your fruit or lemon yoghurt cake with others? Particularly anyone on their own or doing it tough.
Community kindness is so important, no matter how small the interactions might be. Take care out there and I hope you enjoy a piece of cake or lemonade.
Lemon and Yoghurt Cake
- 1 ½ cups of caster sugar
- 1 tbl grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- I often add more lemon rind and I juice about 2 lemons
- Preheat oven 180’
- Grease base and side 20cm round cake tin – line with baking paper
- Beat sugar, rind, eggs & oil in a small bowl with electric mixer until
- mixture is thick & changes colour
- Add yoghurt & juice – beat until combined
- Fold in sifted flour
- Pour mixture into cake tin
- Cook in moderate oven 180’ 45mins – 1 hour or until cooked
- Let cake stand in tin for 5 mins
- Turn out onto wire rack to cool
- Decorate cake with lemon slices, dust with icing sugar
- Serve with cream